Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Canada day 3, the heat

I woke up about 5 miles outside Espanola and I had a great sleeping spot in the woods. There were so many needles on the bottom of the forest, it was like an extra mat. I rode into Espanola and found a McDonald's to check my email. I hit the road about 9am and they were just as bad as the day before. The shoulders are really small and  there are all kinds of potholes in the shoulder, which doesn't make for nice riding. 
I wasn't really feeling the riding, I don't know why. I had to take about 4 breaks before noon, which is more than usual. I did meet a guy at one of the breaks who owns an organic farm and we had a great discussion about sustainability, organics, school, WOOFing (willing workers on organic farms) and then we shared our contact information and hopefully he will help with the greenhouse. 
It was a very hot day, well into the 90s and it's even hotter on the pavement with all the exhaust, so that made for a long day of riding as well. I made sure to stay well hydrated though. 
I took a few back roads and they seem to  be much more rough than the highway, but there is fewer cars/trucks which is nice.
I did get my 100 miles in today and I found a nice spot next to the river to camp in the city of sturgeon falls. The river is not flowing fast, so I didn't go in it to cool down, which I was hoping for... 















No comments:

Post a Comment