Friday, July 31, 2015

More of Canada eh!

I woke up in the nice little camping spot I had in the city of Sturgeon Falls right next to the river and I set off in seek of some wifi. I found a Tim Hortons in town and spent some time there checking out my route and catching up on some emails. I met a great guy named Claude as I was walking out the door. He rides motorcycle, but we had some great discussions on the similarities of bikes and how you always have to be aware of other people on the road. He made a donation to Cycle to Recycle and we headed off. 
I rode about 25 miles and then I stopped at another Tim Hortons in North Bay. There I got to talking to a woman about her farm and how she grows organic and sells to local buyers. We talked about the benefits of your own garden and how much better the food is. We also talked about schools and the differences between American and Canadian schools, it was a great conversation. I got back on the bike and continued to ride in the heat. I found myself talking a lot today and not doing too much riding.

There were a lot of hills today and that makes it tough to get 100 miles in, also taking to everyone who walks by makes it tough as well. I also found a nice little lake to cool off in, it was very refreshing. The rest of the ride went well and it was hot. I found a nice camping spot at a roadside stop which had a pavilion for the picnic tables, which came in handy over the hint because it started to rain. 

I met a guy named, Frank, who has been traveling since 2013 when he was diagnosed with cancer and not given long to live. He adopted a dog and they started walking across Canada. After he started walking he no longer felt his arthritis or needed the morphine for his cancer. It's amazing what exercise does for the body. Now he rides around the country with his dog, Sheila, and raises awareness about animal abuse because he rescued Sheila. Good on ya Frank!!


















1 comment:

  1. Buddy, I just saw your latest post on your Facebook wall that you will be arriving in Maine tomorrow. You sure have come a long way! Greg and I remain glad that we ran into you outside that 76 gas station near Rusty's Diner in Cashmere, WA. We have followed you every step of your journey across this wonderful country since then. I hope the rest of your ride into Maine goes quickly and safely! Mad props to you, Sir! - Orange Blossom

    ReplyDelete